MHA 1983 s45B
Change made by Mental Health Act 2007
Any cases with a hyperlink to this legislation will automatically be added here. There may be other relevant cases without a hyperlink, so please check the mental health case law page.
[The chapter/paragraph numbers which appear below (if any) refer to the 2008 versions of the Code of Practice and Reference Guide.]
- Reference Guide to the Mental Health Act 1983, 5. Hospital and limitation directions [Note that the chapter number relates to the old Reference Guide] — chapter 5
Effect of hospital and limitation directions
45B.—(1) A hospital direction and a limitation direction shall be sufficient authority—
- (a) for a constable or any other person directed to do so by the court to convey the patient to the hospital specified in the hospital direction within a period of 28 days; and
- (b) for the managers of the hospital to admit him at any time within that period and thereafter detain him in accordance with the provisions of this Act.
(2) With respect to any person—
- (a) a hospital direction shall have effect as a transfer direction; and
- (b) a limitation direction shall have effect as a restriction direction.
(3) While a person is subject to a hospital direction and a limitation direction the [responsible clinician] shall at such intervals (not exceeding one year) as the Secretary of State may direct examine and report to the Secretary of State on that person; and every report shall contain such particulars as the Secretary of State may require.