Mental Health Law Online
The internet resource on mental health law, and mental capacity law, for England & Wales. From April 2006 to September 2010 this website was called Wiki Mental Health. You can read a review of the site here.
Subscribe to free email updates and join the email discussion list.
- 22/08/17 (14): Manchester University/AMHPA: Taking Stock conference - Manchester, 19/10/17 — The University of Manchester and AMHPA (Approved Mental Health Professionals Association) are holding their annual conference on mental health law and practice - Taking Stock - on Thursday 19 October 2017 in Manchester. The speakers will include Sir William Charles, Michael Brown OBE, Mair Elliott, Prof Suzy Braye OBE, Dr Leah Quinlaven and Neil Allen. Price: £125. For further details see the AMHPA website and see the the conference's Eventbrite page for booking information.
- 22/08/17 (13): PELT: Deprivation of Liberty made simple - Hoylake, 13/12/17 — Course description: "The disagreements between the judiciary have not helped our understanding of DoLs. This course will leave you feeling much more confident. The CQC has made DoL a priority on inspections. The Supreme Court leaves us in no doubt what is and is not a DoL. But how is all this applied in practice to protect not only the service user, but the professionals and service providers as well? How does this impact on ‘informal’ patients under the MHA and the role of AMHPs and Tribunals? What does ‘continuous supervision and control’ really mean? What is ‘free to leave’? Damages for unlawful DoL. This course will leave you feeling confident in how the law should be applied." Trainer: Peter Edwards. Venue: The Training Suite, Peter Edwards Law, Hoylake CH47 2AE. Times: 10am to 3.30pm. Price: £125 plus VAT (£150). See PELT website for further information and booking details.
- 22/08/17 (12): PELT: Mental Health Act Masterclass (new material) - Hoylake, 22/11/17 — Course description: "This new course will allow Mental Health Act practitioners to reflect on and update their practice by ensuring they have an up to date understanding of the law. New cases will be covered. To act lawfully, decision makers are required to follow ‘procedures prescribed by law’. These can be found not only in the Act but importantly in the Code (2015) and developing case law." Trainer: Peter Edwards. Venue: The Training Suite, Peter Edwards Law, Hoylake CH47 2AE. Times: 10am to 3.30pm. Price: £125 plus VAT (£150). See PELT website for further information and booking details.
The Magic Book is a database of contact details to which anyone can contribute. Recent additions:
Online CPD scheme providing 12 hours for £60: suitable for solicitors, barristers, psychiatrists, social workers and psychiatric nurses
Advertise your events here
- MHLA: Foundation course - Manchester, 23/8/17
- MHLA: Foundation course - London, 30/8/17
- PELT: Introduction to COP, including s21A appeals - Hoylake, 12/9/17
- Switalskis Solicitors: Ninth Annual Review of the Mental Capacity Act 2005 - York, 21/9/17
- PELT: Two-day admission to panel (accredited) - Hoylake, 25/9/17 and 26/9/17
- MHLA: Re-accreditation course - Manchester, 27/9/17
- MHLA: Re-accreditation course - London, 4/10/17
- PELT: Introduction to the Mental Health Act - Hoylake, 4/10/17
- RadcliffesLeBrasseur: Annual Mental Health Conference - London, 5/10/17
- Edge Training: Hoarding and the Law - London, 6/10/17
- MHLA: Advocacy, Risk and Cross-examination - Leicester, 16/10/17
- PELT: Introduction to MCA and DOLS - Hoylake, 18/10/17
- MHLA: Panel course - London, 18/10/17 and 19/10/17
- Manchester University/AMHPA: Taking Stock conference - Manchester, 19/10/17
- Empowerment Matters: National IMCA Conference 2017 - Sheffield, 20/10/17
- MHLA: Panel course - Leeds, 25/10/17 and 26/10/17
- PELT: Depriving Children and Young People of their liberty lawfully - Hoylake, 26/10/17
- Edge Training: Best Interests Assessors Report Writing Course - London, 30/10/17
- Edge Training: DOLS Authorised Signatories - Sheffield, 3/11/17
- PELT: Court of Protection Masterclass (new material) - Hoylake, 8/11/17
- Empowerment Matters: National IMCA Conference 2017 - London, 10/11/17
- Derek Boothby and Andy Brammer: Best Practice in DOLS and Best Interest Assessments Conference - Wakefield, 14/11/17
- PELT: Mental Health Act Masterclass (new material) - Hoylake, 22/11/17
- PELT: Deprivation of Liberty made simple - Hoylake, 13/12/17
We benefit when you buy from Amazon having come from this website
- Brenda Hale, Mental Health Law (6th edn, Sweet and Maxwell 2017)
- Richard Jones, Mental Health Act Manual (19th edn, Sweet and Maxwell 2016)
- Richard Jones, Mental Capacity Act Manual (7th edn, Sweet and Maxwell 2016)
- Sarah Johnston, Sophy Miles and Claire Royston, Mental Health Tribunal Handbook (LAG 2015)
- Peter Bartlett and Ralph Sandland, Mental Health Law: Policy and Practice (OUP 2013)
- Phil Fennell, Penny Letts and Jonathan Wilson, Mental Health Tribunals: Law, Policy and Practice (Law Society, 2013)