Mental Health Law Online
The internet resource on mental health law, and mental capacity law, for England & Wales. You can read a review of the site here.
- 17/06/19: Case (MHT/Parole Board delay). LV v UK 50718/16  MHLO 32 (ECHR) — LV, a s47/49 patient, had argued that there had been a delay, in breach of Article 5(4), in securing her release, in particular because of the two-stage process involving both the Mental Health Tribunal and Parole Board. She accepted the government's offer of £2,500 in settlement of her claim.
- 15/06/19: Case (Costs in s21A case). BP v London Borough of Harrow  EWCOP 20 — "The relevant circumstances of the adjournment of the January hearing are that the Respondent, the London Borough of Harrow, offered at the hearing a trial of BP returning home. ... For the Applicant, it is submitted that this is a case where it is appropriate to depart from the usual costs rule and to order the costs of the January hearing be paid by the Respondent because of the Respondent's consistent failure to offer a trial period at home before the start of and for the duration of the proceedings, and its decision to do so only after the January hearing had commenced. ... Overall, I can see the basis on which the Applicant considers an application for costs to be justified. However, this was a finely balanced case on the Applicant's own submissions in position statements, in particular that of 15 June 2018. I bear in mind the authorities on which the parties rely, in particular the Applicant's reliance on the comments of Hooper LJ in the Court of Appeal. I note the circumstances of Manchester City Council v. G, E and F  EWHC 3385 were quite different. On balance and considering the circumstances as a whole, I am not persuaded that it is appropriate to depart from the general rule on this occasion. I decide this based on the chronological position of the parties set out above and all the circumstances. The Respondent's conduct falls short, to what degree is immaterial, of the necessary test. This case does not represent a blatant disregard of the processes of the Act and the Respondent's obligation to respect BP's rights under ECHR as in the Manchester case (paraphrased slightly)."
- 11/06/19: Event. Court of Protection User Group Meeting - London, 15/10/19 — See Court of Protection User Group for information about the group. Contact Tolu Somade, Business Support Officer to HHJ Hilder (tolulope.somade@Justice.gov.uk) to confirm attendance at the meeting. Time: 2pm.
- 11/06/19: COPUG minutes. Minutes of Court User Group Meeting (11/4/19) — (1) Apologies; (2) Minutes and Action points; (3) Court Manager's Report; (4) Update on the Mental Capacity Amendment Bills; (5) Response to correspondence; (6) Update on ALR scheme; (7) Contacting the court by telephone; (8) Update on progress of e-bundling; (9) COP9 papers not served; (10) COP General visitors using insecure IT equipment when visiting lay deputies; (11) Dealing with urgent applications; (12) Applications for authorities outside the standard terms of deputyship; (13) Request for consideration of a streamlined property and affairs process; (14) Amendment of property and affairs order templates to include reference to support for making decisions when P has capacity; (15) Naming solicitors in judgments; (16) Any other business. Next meeting: 15/10/19 at 1400, at First Avenue House.
- No current job adverts
Online CPD scheme providing 12 hours for £60: suitable for solicitors, barristers, psychiatrists, social workers and psychiatric nurses
The Magic Book is a database of contact details - please contribute to it (the process is quick and simple).
- Edge Training: Hoarding and the Law - London, 21/6/19
- Edge Training: DOLS Authorised Signatories Training Course - London, 21/6/19
- Edge Training: DOLS MH Assessors Annual Refresher Course - London, 24/6/19
- Edge Training: Liberty Protection Safeguards - London, 28/6/19
- Edge Training: BIA Legal Update (Annual Refresher) - London, 1/7/19
- Edge Training: Level 3 Safeguarding Adults - London, 8/7/19
- Edge Training: Liberty Protection Safeguards - Manchester, 12/7/19
- MHLA: Panel course - London, 17/7/19 and 18/7/19
- Edge Training: BIA Legal Update (Annual Refresher) - London, 9/8/19
- MHLA: Foundation course - London, 28/8/19
- Edge Training: Understanding the Court of Protection - London, 30/9/19
- Edge Training: AMHP Legal Update - London, 7/10/19
- Edge Training: MHA and MCA Interaction - London, 14/10/19
- Court of Protection User Group Meeting - London, 15/10/19
- Edge Training: Liberty Protection Safeguards - Manchester, 18/10/19
- Edge Training: Liberty Protection Safeguards - London, 22/11/19
We benefit when you buy fromhaving come from this website