MHA 1983 s80C
Change made by Mental Health Act 2007
Any cases with a hyperlink to this legislation will automatically be added here. There may be other relevant cases without a hyperlink, so please check the mental health case law page. No results
[The chapter/paragraph numbers which appear below (if any) refer to the 2008 versions of the Code of Practice and Reference Guide.]
- Reference Guide to the Mental Health Act 1983, 25. Transfer of patients from outside England and Wales [Note that the chapter number relates to the old Reference Guide] — chapter 25
Removal of patients subject to compulsion in the community from Scotland
[80C.—(1) This section applies to a patient if—
- (a) he is subject to an enactment in force in Scotland by virtue of which regulations under section 289(1) of the Mental Health (Care and Treatment) (Scotland) Act 2003 apply to him; and
- (b) he is removed to England and Wales under those regulations.
(2) He shall be treated as if on the date of his arrival at the place where he is to reside in England or Wales—
- (a) he had been admitted to a hospital in England or Wales in pursuance of an application or order made on that date under the corresponding enactment; and
- (b) a community treatment order had then been made discharging him from the hospital.
(3) For these purposes—
- (a) if the enactment to which the patient was subject in Scotland was an enactment contained in the Mental Health (Care and Treatment) (Scotland) Act 2003, the corresponding enactment is section 3 of this Act;
- (b) if the enactment to which he was subject in Scotland was an enactment contained in the Criminal Procedure (Scotland) Act 1995, the corresponding enactment is section 37 of this Act.
(4) "The responsible hospital", in the case of a patient in respect of whom a community treatment order is in force by virtue of subsection (2) above, means the hospital to which he is treated as having been admitted by virtue of that subsection, subject to section 19A above.
(5) As soon as practicable after the patient's arrival at the place where he is to reside in England or Wales, the responsible clinician shall specify the conditions to which he is to be subject for the purposes of section 17B(1) above, and the conditions shall be deemed to be specified in the community treatment order.
(6) But the responsible clinician may only specify conditions under subsection (5) above which an approved mental health professional agrees should be specified.]
- Mental Health Act 2007 s39 & sch 5; Mental Health Act 2007 (Commencement No. 7 and Transitional Provisions) Order 2008 wef 3/11/08. This section does not extend to Scotland